Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Kara kozhukattai | Spicy rice balls

My kids love this balls, they love to eat as breakfast, snack and take this for lunch too. I don't add spice in the flour. My SIL suggested me to do that. When mixed with rice flour it gives a nice taste. I used Idiyappam flour, any type of rice flour can be added.



Ingredients:

  • Rice flour - 1 cup
  • Water - 1 and 1/4 cups
  • Red chilly powder - 1/2 tsp
  • Grated coconut - 1 tbsp
  • Oil - 1 tbsp
  • Mustard - 1 tsp
  • Fennel (saunf) - 1 tsp
  • Urad dal - 1 tsp
  • Asafoetida - a pinch
  • Salt - as per taste
Method:


Mix rice flour, red chilly powder,grated coconut and salt. Boil the water and mix in rice flour with spatula. Let it cool down and add a tsp of oil and mix in hand.


Make tiny balls with that batter. Steam the balls in the cooker for 10 minutes. Remove and let it cool down. The balls will easily get separated.


Heat oil in the pan, add mustard, saunf, urad dal and asafoetida. Transfer the balls to the pan. Keep in simmer. Let it fry till the top layer is roasted.

 

Enjoy the balls as snack or lunch for kids.


Note:
  • If you don't like it spicy, do not add chilly powder in the flour. Plain balls also tastes good.
  • First add 1 cup of water, if needed more gradually add 1/4 cup of water to make a soft dough.
  • Try in coconut oil, you can find a great difference.

19 comments:

divyagcp said...

Tempting and delicious mini kozhukattais..

Divya's Culinary Journey

Priya Suresh said...

Wish i get a bowl of this cuties..

Unknown said...

cutes and yummies..

Unknown said...

looks so yummm!!!

Vimitha Durai said...

Cute little kozhukattais

Anonymous said...

And I am sure my kids would like this too. They look very attractive.

chitraj.hegde said...

lovely and cute rice balls....my mouth is watering...stunning clicks....

Julie said...

Super cute & tempting balls dear..Yummy!!
Join my ongoing EP events-Rosemary OR Sesame @ Now Serving

divya said...

Wow ! Really its tempting me to taste it right now :)

Unknown said...

one of my most favorite kozhakattais!!

Chitra said...

I make same but dont add fennel . looks tempting :)

Anita Mokashi said...

Very tempting:)

Nancy said...

A new dish to me. It sounds really good. Thanks for sharing and teaching me something new:)

Hema said...

I can have that cup, nicely presented..

Unknown said...

Lovely kolukattai...First time to your space...Love your recipes...Happy to follow you:)Will be glad if you step in to mine...

Michelle said...

These look amazing! I will make them this week for sure.

~nm said...

They look damn tempting!

You haven't mentioned how much water needs to be added to get the ball making consistency. Please add that and let us know. I would like to make these over the weekend. Thanks.

Theallamenta said...

Hi, could you please tell how many water you used? Thanks :)

hotpotcooking said...

Sorry for not mentioning it. It took 1 and 1/4 cup of water. But always each flour absorbs water differently. First try using 1 cup of water. Gradually add more water if needed, to form a soft dough.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...


Show all post